Friday, January 2, 2009

A wannabe knitter.

When I was in grade school, my mother taught my sisters and me to knit and purl and we would spend hours 'knitting scarves'. I don't ever remember finishing anything, mostly remember knitting the 'scarf' until we ran out of yarn and then ripping it out and starting over. That yarn was well used and looked it!

In my early 20's, I suddenly decided I was a real knitter. I bought yarn and books and proceeded to knit 'things', mostly kids mittens and for some unknown reason, couch pillows. (I shudder when I think of these and that my mother in law at that time, kept her handmade set on her couch for years.)

My greatest accomplishment was a knit jumper for my daughter who was 2 at the time. It was royal blue with red and white stripes along the top and the hem and I was quite proud of my accomplishment. I don't think she wore it too much, probably out grew it before she had much opportunity to wear it, but I still remember the feeling of completing it. Since then I have dabbled in knitting, mostly for something to do while watching TV, and rarely do I finish anything. Last year I decided I was a 'knitter' again, and started knitting socks. I probably ripped them out 7 times before I finally got them right. They were not the prettiest things, but I gave them to my DIL last Christmas, but forgot to tell her that they were wool, and I believe they shrunk! Since then I have purchased more needles, more books and more yarn with the confidence of an accomplished knitter. The all look really nice sitting in my yarn basket and anyone seeing that overflowing basket would believe that I am a knitter. I don't have the heart to tell them the only thing I really knit anymore is dishcloths. Basic knit and purl and easy to finish. But that doesn't stop me from admiring sites like this one.

Meanwhile I have been sewing more things for Etsy. Unlike the pretend knitting that I do, sewing I know for sure. I probably sew 2-4 hours every day and would do more if I didn't have to go to my real job.




No comments: